There are some configurations needed to do this. I have my laptop behind router to connect to the internet.
Laptop : 192.168.1.75
Public IP: 22.214.171.124
You need to download:
1. Putty. A great free telnet/SSH tool.
2. CopSSH. free SSH server
1st, you can get the tutorial here to get the idea of tunneling. : http://theillustratednetwork.mvps.org/Ssh/RemoteDesktopSSH.html
my router setting:
Port forward : 22 to your ip 192.168.1.75. If the proxy doesn' t allow SSH, use 80/443 because most of them allow these ports.
Port forward: 55555 to your ip 192.168.1.75. If you use default RDC port, fill it with 3389.
my CopSSH setting:
i change my default listening port from 22 to 80. You can change it by modifying sshd_config file
my Putty setting (the most essential ones):
1. Connection - SSH. Tick Enable compression. Choose 2 or 2 only.
2. Proxy. The university use HTTP Proxy so choose HTTP. enter Proxy hostname with its port. Then enter username and password. Enter username with this format: Domain\Username
3. Connection - SSH - Tunnels.
Add new forwarded port:
Source port: 3389 (you can choose any port)
Destination: 126.96.36.199:55555 (I change default port of RDC 3389 to 55555 for security reason. To do this, you can see the tutorial here)
Then press Add
1. Run your putty. After that you will be asked to enter the username and password of user who is assigned to copSSH.
2. Run Remote Desktop Connection. Fill Connect box with localhost:3389